FULBRIGHT CLASSROOM TEACHER
The Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program is a direct one-to-one exchange of teachers from primary and secondary schools. The program operates between the United States and six countries worldwide for a semester or academic year. By living and working in the host countries, Fulbright Teachers gain a unique understanding and appreciation of the similarities and differences in cultures and education systems. Fulbright Teachers enrich their schools and communities with a new awareness of other cultures and traditions in different parts of the world, providing students and colleagues with new perspectives about the world in which they live.
Impact of the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange
Fulbright Exchanges often result in continuing relationships between schools, some of which establish their own student and faculty exchanges and other linkages / activities. Exchanges also benefit local communities by providing them with international resources that are not otherwise available. International collaborations such as these foster enduring relationships and continuously provide students with opportunities to increase their subject knowledge and understand its relevance in the greater context. Participating teachers develop and share their expertise with colleagues abroad and schools gain from the experience of having an international resource in their communities.
Impact on Teachers:
- Increased understanding of host country, language and academic field;
- Opportunity for a career-enhancing professional development experience which allows teachers to gain new perspectives, be exposed to new teaching methods, develop new curricula and share professional expertise;
- Opportunity to develop lifelong friendships and professional relationships and become a member of an international community of Fulbright alumni;
- Additional benefit to accompanying family members, who get to live or go to school in a different cultural environment.
Impact on Schools:
- Increased global awareness on the part of students taught by international exchange teachers and by the returning Fulbright Teacher;
- Increased knowledge and international awareness on the part of professional colleagues through interactions with exchange teachers;
- Opportunity for students to learn foreign languages from native speakers;
- Development of a long-term professional relationship between the U.S. and the international school, which can lead to student and teacher collaboration and privately arranged teacher exchanges, student linkages and future student exchanges.
Impact on Communities:
- Presence of an international teacher and his or her family as resources in the community, providing the whole community the opportunity to learn about another nation;
- Opportunity for increased awareness of and respect for, diverse ideas, values, world views and ways of life.